* The gym will be closing early on Friday night to prepare for the Halloween Social. We’ll be closing at 5:00PM so arrive by 4:00PM if you want to get a full workout in. Social tickets available in advance at the gym or at the door that night. Costumed demo workout at 8:00PM but if you want to participate, please arrive by 7:00PM or you will be ticketed at the door.
*The gym will be closed on Saturday except for a Halloween Team Workout at 9:00AM . All members welcome.
Workout of the Day
5 attempts of:
Rest as much as you need between attempts.
Then, 3 attempts at max double unders.
Kimberly’s best post yet…
Another delicious chocolate cake from Nikki Young
5 eggs, separated
1/3 cup maple syrup (I used closer to ¼ cup)
2/3 cup oil (I used grapeseed)
100 g chocolate (I used a Lindt 90% cocoa bar but organic would be better)
1 tsp 100% vanilla extract
1 cup almond meal
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 F
2. Cream oil, maple syrup and egg yolks in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
3. Add almond meal and vanilla extract.
4. Melt chocolate in a metal bowl over a small pot of boiling water. Add to almond meal mixture.
5. In a separate bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, add half the egg whites to chocolate mixture a fold carefully. Add remaining egg whites and fold well into mixture.
6. Line a cake tin with baking paper, poor in chocolate mixture.
7. Place in oven for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 350 F and cook for a further 15 – 20 minutes or until cooked. Test by inserting a knife into the middle of the cake, if it comes out clean it is cooked through.
The original recipe suggests serving the cake a little warm but I liked it much better the second day when it was fully cooled. It ends up a little undercooked in the middle and tastes a like a pudding cake. (Store it in the fridge if you intend to keep it for more than two days)
I finally wanted to see just how “bad” all my baking was so I’ve started to plug the ingredients into FitDay. So, according to FitDay the whole cake would be 3250 Calories:
291 g of fat (78%)
113 g of carbs (14%) this is 23 g of fiber and 90 g of sugar
70 g of protein (8%)
I’d say that looks like a decent breakdown for a controlled cheat or a special occasion 🙂